Friday, February 5, 2016

State #16 Sugarland, Texas

February 1, 2015


Motivation tends to wane at the end of each year.  Once the holidays hit, it is a period of rest and indulgence...resulting in weight gain at the beginning of each new year.  Having committed ourselves to pace The USA Fit Marathon, we need to get fit quick.  January is all about running to prepare for our fun little trip to Sugarland, Texas, the first of many pacing gigs for the year.
It is a short marathon trip to pace and pick up state #16 with little time for sightseeing.  A drive around the city gives a glimpse of the area.
The race director, a super nice lady, leaves our bibs and finisher jackets at the front desk of our hotel. I love when a marathon gives out jackets unfortunately, the jacket for my husband is extra large and way too big. I know we like to eat and all, but extra large is too big.  After checking in we are feeling pretty tired, but not too tired for my favorite time of day...dinner time!  A pizza place is in close proximity to the hotel and that's where we go. We run marathons, we eat pizza and that is the way it is...no apologies!! (Maybe that is part of the problem.)
Looks better than it tastes!
The pizza looks good but is not the best and definitely not the worst either. We stop at a popular Texas grocery store chain called "Heb" for bananas and water on the way back to the hotel. I wouldn't mind taking home the cool porch furniture on display as we enter the store! (Wooden swing with a Texas star map medallion built into the design)
Do we know how to have fun, when we travel or what~easily entertained!  Back at the hotel it is time to guzzle down water before bed. I like to drink a bottle or two before going to sleep. On race morning, I drink very little to prevent pee stops during the run. It is a short drive to the University of Houston, Sugarland Campus. The plentiful parking makes it a fast trip to the start area to pick up the pacing signs and exchange my husband's jacket with the race director for a smaller size. She even lets me use the VIP bathroom and avoid a long line for the porta potties~a highlight for me.  The small things in life can bring such joy. 
Overall, the two loop course is good with a small field of runners. One thing about Texas, besides everything being bigger, is that the roads are all concrete...much harder on the feet. Roads in California are all asphalt-concrete mix with a little more give with each foot strike making it a more comfortable running surface. Pure concrete hurts. I don't know if it is all in my mind, but it seems harder on the body. I try to minimize impact by avoiding sidewalks whenever possible which is super easy to do if I sit on the couch. (Sometimes I do too much couch sitting, but that is a story for another day!) Texas is hot and humid...a sweaty kind of hot and the weather has me worried my husband might melt.  
The lack of water in the first six miles is another concern. I am ready and looking for water stations. We run....wait...hope...there will be water soon. It is my only complaint about the marathon. The second loop lacks water in the same sections obviously.  I can only hope it does not affect my husband too much. Water stations are good from mile six to mile thirteen with positive and enthusiastic volunteers! My group consists of full and  half marathon runners.
I get to run practically to the finish line before the full marathoners turn around at the orange cone while the half marathons cross the finish line. It is slightly demoralizing to be so close to the finish and circle the cone to start the second loop over again all by myself.  Me and the hard concrete, until I see my husband on the out and back section. He is on pace and doing well, but is runner less as well. The temperature is rising and I hope he hangs on as the heat sizzles. I eventually catch runners as they begin to slow down along the course and strike up conversations. I learn the history of the race. The popular Houston marathon tends to sell out and many runners do not get the opportunity to run it. This race was created to reach the overflow and appeals to runners who prefer a smaller marathon event. 

Eventually I lose all my people, but keep cruising along. Once I hit mile twenty I reach a runner who asks me if I am on pace. I tell him that I am and he joins me.  The heat today has humbled him.  He planned to run a sub four, but now he is fighting to finish at my pace of 4:30. We talk some, but mainly he needs to focus on maintaining his pace. We keep running and tough it out together. As we round the curve, the clock comes into view and with a final kick, we finish in 4:29:58! That is too close for comfort, but I am  happy to hit my mark. I sit on the curb for awhile watching runners come in. When the 4:15 pacer comes in after me with a devastated look on his face, I fear it may happen to my husband too. The 5:00 hour pacer also misses his mark.  My husband is nowhere in sight, but he slips through the finish. The heat and limited water in the beginning section affects many runners. It doesn't feel good, to be off pace, but it happens! In the post race area we grab refreshments and "the finisher shirt" only given out when runners complete the marathon.  
Despite the heat, it is a fun experience. I love the spirit of the race director who puts lots of heart into the event. I hope it gets bigger and better every year. Now, it's time to get back to the hotel and clean up for lunch. We venture downtown with lots of interesting places. It is hard to pick a place and settle on a Mexican establishment that turns out to be rather disappointing. Too bad we can't have a second loop on lunch! Once back at The Hilton Garden Inn a Superbowl viewing party in the bar is the best place to hang out and sip a few beers. 
Instead of "kicking asphalt"  it should say "kicking concrete"
Flying home after the race would maximize our time, but we spend an extra night. With a few hours before our flight, we drive by the hospital in Houston where the show "My Six Hundred Pound Life" is filmed. Like so many people, I have struggled my entire life with weight fluctuations and a love-hate relationship with food. It is a continual battle to find a balance between eating right and enjoying food. Nonetheless, I am fascinated by our society's obsession with weight and all the implications. It is interesting to see University Hospital the focal point for change as the show chronicles the difficult experiences of the morbidly obese as they desperately attempt to overcome addiction through weight loss surgery. Dr. Nowzaradan is one of few doctors willing to operate on severely overweight individuals in hopes of providing a second chance at life. The obesity epidemic is America's new norm. Running is my way to manage and control my weight~rather unsuccessfully. My fight continues as I strive to understand the complexities, especially the psychology component, that so many of us battle on a daily basis as we struggle to overcome weight issues.
The zoo entrance

Houston is named after Sam Houston, an American soldier and politician. He secured independence for Texas from Mexico.
The Pioneer Memorial honors the early pioneers and the founders of Houston.  It was built in 1936 to celebrate Texas independence. It reminds me of the reflecting pool in Washington D.C.  After our little tour of the hospital and park, it is time to fly home!
Oh, you are back again!




No comments:

Post a Comment