Tuesday, April 26, 2016

State #25 Reston, Virginia

April 10th 2016

Runners Marathon of Reston

No, we are not tired...we did not just run a marathon in the snow with virtually no sleep the last two days!  No we did not just drive for three plus hours to get to packet pick-up without eating or taking a shower!  Oh wait, yes we did do that no wonder we look so darn bad...
Half way through the states wonder how bad we will look after Fifty!
But hey, they are giving us free food so take our picture!  From beginning to end our time in Reston, Virginia is great. Stopped at the high school of Alan Webb to pick up our bib, shirt, goodie bag and eat our pasta dinner in the school cafeteria. My husband still equates marathon pasta dinners with food poisoning, but I just want to eat, shower and sleep. The food tastes good to me...pasta, salad, french bread and lots of cookies.  Good to go, now lets GO!  A nice young couple from New York sit down at our table just as we are finishing and we get delayed.  Runners have to talk running!  We talk about places to live in California and our running histories etc.  The husband is a non-runner just there to support his wife.  I told him that is how it starts that he will be running and obsessed in no time.

Finally, we check into the hotel.  All the wet clothes from the morning's run, stuffed in our cute little Garden Spot Marathon zippered bags, have to be unleashed.  What a stinky moldy mess if left in that state. My husband wants to dry out the clothes.  We spread everything out and put the heater on full blast.  It is really really cold in Virginia too.  Oh goodie, I can't wait for more cold weather running.  With showers complete and outfits laid out for the next day, my head hits the pillow and I sleep like the dead. Let's just say that was the best bed ever!

Race morning is super COLD! It is just as cold as yesterday, just without the snow.  Having used up my favorite warm running jackets, I do not have enough layers on for this race and grab a garbage bag for extra warmth.
There is nothing better than a small marathon put on by runners, close parking,  a warm cafeteria and they even walk the runners out to the start line. Don't we look slightly out of place in our bags. I had clear plastic bags packed in the suitcase which would have been less conspicuous! We just wanted to give the east coasters something to laugh about.
 It is baffling to me that some runners are able to run with bare legs and arms.  I marvel at their toughness.  For me it is warmth over vanity.  Who cares if I end up wearing my bag for eleven miles!!  At least I punch some holes for my arms, but my bag provides annoying bag swooshing sounds for those running near me.  My husband ditches his bag immediately after the start.
The legs do not feel as bad as imaged.  The course is hilly with lots of rolling hills and a combination of road running and paved trails. It is a two loop course that changes often enough to keep the running interesting.  After three miles, runners run down a steep road which begins a trail section.  A volunteer is hopping up and down (to stay warm) at the bottom of the hill being a positive force offering encouragement with a big smile. (But he needs a darn jacket) I enjoy the tall trees and the constantly curving path, but my knees are feeling the ups and downs.  There are not too many spectators but all the volunteers are highly energetic and encouraging.  Most of the trails look a lot like this. The air is crisp and clear making for a very peaceful run!
The aid stations have everything a runner needs including Fig Newtons. I fuel my entire race with bananas and Newtons.  In fact, I am craving a Newton right now.  I am  currently on day 11 of a 15 day challenge of clean eating and no soda, but at this very moment writing about Newtons, I want one.  Stay strong...no cookies.  Get this blog written!!

I start feeling good around mile ten. As I run past one runner he said, "I hope you are running the half?" That comment helps energize me for awhile. It took me six miles to warm up and get into a zone which lasts until mile sixteen when my knee starts to hurt.  The last ten miles are all grin and bear it.  I try all kinds of changes to my stride, but nothing helps. The only thing that helps is getting back to the school to make that final lap on the track before crossing the finish line.  A volunteer photographer takes pictures and posts them to the marathon's Facebook page. Another nice plus for the Reston Marathon!
Husband happy to be done!
I want to get my camera out of the car to get some pictures, but we are in desperate need of a shower before checking out of the hotel.  First we have to take advantage of the post-race food.  They have pizza, sandwiches, cookies and lots of other tasty treats back in the school cafeteria.  I am so hungry I eat four slices of pizza.  It is cold but good~hot, it would have been exceptional pizza! 

I didn't check to see I if placed in my age group before we left, but we did get coffee mugs for traveling the farthest.  Later, I checked online and I placed second.  A week after our trip my award arrives in the mail.  I highly recommend this race.  Overall, our double marathon weekend is a great success. If I lived closer both marathons are worthy of running year after year!!
Even after eating four pieces of pizza after the race, I still want to try out a place that local runners frequent.  Santini's Pizza~really good~  Due to a work commitment, our time in the east is short. We fit in a quick visit to the Mt. Vernon Estate before driving back to Baltimore for an early morning flight
 George Washington's Estate
 Back porch area with Potomac in the background
Ranch land on the estate

Now it is back to the routine of running and good eating to prepare for our next marathon on May 1st in Eugene, Oregon.  But first I have to have some chill time with kitty!





3 comments:

  1. Wow. I don't believe I got to see this back in 2016. What a nice summary!! Can we put a link on our FB page? (Anna, RMR Race Director)

    ReplyDelete