Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Buffalo, New York...Just for fun!!

May 27th 2018
Mile 19ish...painful reminder to live life!!
As I sit here ruminating over my many aching body parts and look at the upcoming calendar, I am feeling overwhelmed. It looks like I bit off  more than my aged body can withstand.  I have four more marathon jaunts to complete before I can fully heal...After repeatedly ignoring the "niggles" of tender tendons, achy joints, slight tears in muscle fibers and a very sore hip, my body's pain signals get louder and louder commanding attention. "I hear you now...body!" After the last marathon in Colorado, the body revolts demanding rest and better care and I have no choice but to listen.  All running miles cease...there is even time for a Taylor Swift concert with my daughter. (What a spectacular performance at  the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.) 
After three solid weeks without a run, I tip-toe to the start line of the Buffalo Marathon with trepidation!  We pick Buffalo as my husband's New York state and it becomes a
long training run for me in preparation for Kentucky ~state 43~ (The Hatfield and McCoy!)   Three weeks is a long time to go without any running. Two short run-walks are my only preparation for the Buffalo Marathon and I pay for it with a painful trek through the city streets! The week before the race my body lets me know that slow and steady is the only way to go! It's fun to run without any pressure or expectation of a time goal~just to finish! My husband even suggests I spectate instead to allow for more time to heal up...but I can't take the red-eye all the way to New York just to sit it out!!
We both get the job done with our differing struggles...mine excess weight gain from lack of exercise~and who am I kidding too much eating~the heat and humidity for my husband!  Boy, is it hot out there. It looks like some runners just climbed out of a swimming pool with drenched shorts. There is lots of suffering to go around on the course... 
Mile 9 to Mile 12 along the waterfront!
Heat is not a factor for me...my battle is carrying my extra poundage.  One lady in the later miles even said to me, "Look at you...not even sweating!" My husband, on the other hand, spends the entire course dumping water on his head, putting ice in his hat and running through every sprinkler.  The course support and all the amazing spectators help runners combat the heat with water hoses and encouragement.                             There are even vans on the course with 
the AC blasting. Runners can hop on sit down and cool off. The Buffalo Marathon is a first rate experience. As painful as the run is for me...I enjoy it. Red, White and Blue color themes are  everywhere for the patriotically focused race occurring annually on Memorial Day Weekend. It is a nice course with lots of spectators, plenty of aid and cheers! After enjoying a post race celebration inside the convention  center with endless beer and pizza we can't leave Buffalo without a stop at Niagara Falls. It is wondrous gorgeous sight to see...
We almost give up after spending an hour in search of a place to park. How can it be so crowded on such a beautiful warm day~You would think it's a holiday weekend or something! 

The boats are jam packed with a sea of people in red, yellow and blue slickers. Our short time in Buffalo, New York is rewarded with beautiful sights...and one of the easiest and fastest drives home from the airport on Memorial Day! Go figure...no traffic in Los Angeles at the end of a holiday WHAT!! Maybe they are still at Niagara Falls!!
Oh and TSA searched our backpack again... medals seem to get flagged as weapons!

No comments:

Post a Comment