Wednesday, October 24, 2018

State #46 Baltimore, Maryland

Baltimore Marathon

October 20, 2018
One double marathon weekend and two pacing marathons to go~104.8 miles before my running year~2018~officially comes to an end. I am excited to take a run break even though it seems much of the year consists of running marathons and taking breaks (run...rest...run... repeat. Let's just say it will be nice NOT to do any long runs of the 26.2 variety. Baltimore and Atlantic City here we come. The last time we attempted the east coast double back in 2015, we got stuck in a mudslide on our way to the Los Angeles airport. Needless to say we didn't make it to either marathon.
Grapevine
While driving to LAX the freeway (called the Grapevine) closed! As we tried to go around using Highway 58, we got stuck officially for the night along with hundreds of other cars and trucks in a flash flood. Finding a place to pee was a bit challenging, but as they say "necessity is the mother of invention" and it was really dark out there. It is our only DNS...did not start! We have made it to every other finish line regardless of our physical or mental state.
Highway 58

Once we made it out of the mud, thanks to the highway patrol and various mud removal equipment, we disappointingly returned home extremely grateful to have an undamaged car. We only lost out on the registration fees since we were able to cancel the hotels and received an airline credit. Let's hope for a rain-free drive and weekend on this go around. As long as we can get to the start line, two more states will be complete. However; the Bart Yasso quote, "Never take a finish line for granted" sticks in my mind a lot more often these days! My aging body constantly reminds me, it is not as strong as it once was. Now, I never take the start line or the finish line for granted. The only mishap on the drive to the airport is a finicky car window. It randomly decides it does not feel like going back up after I grab a
ticket from the parking dispenser.  It happened last time we pulled a ticket at the airport parking garage too. Thankfully after a little rest and some coaxing, the window slowly clicks back up into place. Otherwise a windy ride home would be our double marathon weekend reward. With our attention focused on the window, we end up turning into the wrong side of the parking garage. After nine levels of reserved spots and a call, we conclude that we are not in the correct side of the parking structure. Now we can't get out of the garage. It is for residents only and the railing will not lift without a pass code. After backing, finagling and going into the "do not enter section" we manage to get to the correct parking lot. Good thing we left home really early. You would think after traveling to 47 states that we can figure things out by now, think again! But hey, I saved a whooping fifteen dollars on the parking garage. Now I know why my husband said, "No, let's not try a new long term parking garage!" But we eventually figure it out...even if it takes extra time and maybe an ounce of frustration. Who says you can't teach old dogs...new tricks. The red eye flight is on time and lands thirty minutes early. The only time our flights are early it seems is when it is 4 am and
the rental car is reserved for 6 am. We find a few seats in the airport without arm rests and try to grab a nap before making our way to the rental car center. It's cold in Baltimore a balmy 40 degree air greets us as we exit the glass doors. Now what...in the car with no place to go as the morning sun lights a new day. I requested an early check-in, but is 7 am too early? I call the hotel and Ana says to come on down she has a room ready for us...wow! Things are looking up as we anticipate a nice nap before going to the expo. Being a Marriott's member pays off as we stop on the sixth floor to grab complimentary snacks and drinks before heading to the room. The bed is soft with tons of pillows as we drift into peaceful sleep in the quiet (at the moment) room. Staying in downtown Baltimore makes for easy access to the expo. We pick up our bibs and shirts before walking to the start line area.
The race starts in front of the baseball stadium. We wander over to the finish line area near the waterfront. The bay is bustling with people and workers preparing for the 18th annual event.  It is a warm afternoon and 
we take our time looking around before fueling up with some dinner. I order some crab soup to go with my sandwich, but it tastes like a vegetable tomato soup to me. Exhaustion sets in quick and we decide to retire early for the night at least that is the plan, but the elevator has a different plan in store for me. The quiet hotel we checked into in the morning becomes a busy place on a Friday night as the noisy elevator methodically begins to clunk each time it reaches the top floor and crescendos back down the floors.  As a troubled light sleeper, I envy those that can simply sleep when tired. Going to sleep sometimes feels more challenging than running a marathon. By nine we are settled and ready to sleep with the television set to turn off in forty-five minutes to help ease the transition into sleep, but the continual bang of what sounds like a roller coaster car clicking into position begins before it blasts down the tracks. I used all the sleep techniques in my bag of tricks~even listening to two bedtime stories for adults~that's a first, but that doesn't work either... 
 My husband finally puts me out of my misery by uploading
No...we aren't tired at all!!
the I-pad with the talk radio station that puts me to sleep at home~and five and a half hours later success, sleep. In the time it takes me to fall asleep, I can run a full marathon with an hour to spare. Once we are blessed by another glorious morning, the nighttime marathon sleep battle in over and forgotten, it is time for the real thing. My husband deserves a medal for putting up with me... that is for sure! The dawn of another race day begins with a short walk to the start line. The streets are buzzing with runners scurrying from all directions to huddle into the corrals. After a momentary frenzy to find bag drop we are set. Parking garage woes, red-eyes and fitful nights of sleep are all worth it as we wait to begin another marathon journey. 
The weather is perfect for running not too cold and not too hot...it's just right. The weather may be perfect, but by mile two I already feel as if I am hitting the wall. Baltimore is rather hilly. I anticipated the hills in the later portion, but the hills are actually
dispersed throughout the entire course. The Baltimore Marathon has the feel of a big city race even though it has about 2000 full runners. The relay and half marathon participants make it feel much bigger and more congested with over 11,000 participants. The course has good support, it is well directed with lots of spectators and entertainment. The course wanders through a variety of areas within the city. Mile 4 takes us through a portion of the zoo where we see a penguin, skunk, bird and the fluffiest white lionhead rabbit. The hills are beating me up and I appreciate any and all distractions. I like the variety of the course especially
sections near the water, Druid Lake is the first water sighting followed by portions along the waterfront. I adjust my time expectations within the first couple of miles. My training has essentially been nonexistent since Belleville, a few runs here and there to make sure I can still move. My husband takes the last eight days off and I take off the last four days. Our goal is just to finish and check off another state. By mile 11 we are back near the start area. During a short out and back section, I spot the four hour pace group...as they dance away out of reach. At the turnaround they have chews available and I grab two. My husband sees me with my chews in both hands, but I don't see him. I am focused on getting to the halfway point where I plan to reward myself with pain reliever. It is not the greatest idea to take during every marathon, but I really need it today. Everything hurts and the caffeine will give me a boost for a few miles. As I near the halfway point I can hear the countdown for the half marathoners as they get underway, they merge with the full marathons at around mile 16.  The full runners
have three more miles of peace before we are inundated by a mass of runners and walkers. The course is never isolated with the relay runners constantly transitioning in with new fresh runners. Even though it is a struggle fest kind of day, the time passes fairly quickly, there is lots to see and runners to watch. The course turns and changes upward often (it goes up up up and sometimes down) as we run down some of the straightaways we can see a sea of runners trudging up the hills we will soon climb. Spectators and residents are out cheering with lots of police and traffic control to keep the roads clear. Occasionally people cross the street in front of runners, police are quick to blow a whistle to control the crowds. As we approach mile 16, one side portion of the road is barricaded off as the full marathons prepare for the mass of half marathoners. It becomes densely packed with runners as we all merge into one big group of runners. At the water stop I am passed by the 4:15 group. I do not even attempt to stay with them.  It will be a slow saunter to the finish for me today. Some of the hills are just too long and I walk. 
I talk to a few runners about the course and many didn't expect the hills to be so relentless others knew just what to expect. As we are directed to a turn, there is a huge lake (Montebello) and I see bodies trudging around the lake. It looks like a long way to run...especially on exhausted legs. I putter around hoping to get back to the other side soon. The last six miles are a blur. I remember my husband saying as we walked to the start that the last mile is downhill. My focus is to get to the downhill and when I finally get to mile 25 there is an actual hill in the middle of it but the last half mile is a nice little slope in the negative direction, thank goodness... 
I am beyond excited to see the finish line arch. The timing clock comes into view and I sprint to cross the mat. I lean over and two nice medical ladies help me move to the side as they ask if I am alright. I am good, just need a minute to breathe. Once able I find a place to sit on the curb before getting my medal. That's not the best  idea as I ponder how to get back up. I don't dare ask another exhausted runner for a hand.  Finally, I turn on my side and push myself up. After getting my crab medal, water, snacks and bag, it is time for the beer. A few people offer beer on the course, but it is too hard to cross over to grab it.   
Once reunited with my jackets, I drink my two beers while talking with other runners. Once my husband is finished, we meet by the boat where a fellow runner asks me if I saw all the dead rats in the road. What...I missed that.  My husband saw lots of dead rats as well. Yikes...thankfully I didn't see any on my tour of the city! On that note we head back to the hotel and take our time getting cleaned up thanks to a 4 pm checkout before we make our way to Atlantic City where we get to do it all over again tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment