Saturday, May 11, 2019

Marathon #49 Cincinnati, Ohio

Flying Pig Marathon

May 5th 2019

Who needs time to rest and recover when there is another marathon to run. Quiet down aching hamstrings...Flying Pig only has a few hills. One spin class and a three mile jog let's me know "the pig" will be a slow and painful race.  I regret the three mile run...when shooting pains radiate down through the back of my legs forcing me to walk home. No time to second guess the redo state last weekend there is a bag to pack, a red-eye flight to catch  and a "finish swine"  to cross.  On the bright side we only have a short forty minute drive to the airport along with an upgraded premium row to ourselves. It is a pleasant enough night flight once
the little boy behind me quits crying and kicking my seat. Another quick layover in Chicago has us on the ground in Northern Kentucky by 8:30 am and in our hotel bed by 10 am for a little nap thanks to Marriott's AC hotel taking pity upon us. Maybe nodding off in the hotel lobby expedited the cleaning process. It only takes us 49 states to figure out the best ways to maximize our travel experience. Even though my husband gets frisked by TSA at our small local airport, I love sitting at the gate less than sixty minutes after our garage door goes down. We have a birds-eye view from our hotel window as 10k runners cross the finish line. The hotel is perfectly situated
between the start, finish and expo making everything an easy walk. As we walk over to the expo there are still races underway. Downtown Cincinnati is full of people and the excitement of the weekend is palpable. In its 21st year the "Flying Pig Marathon" is a well oiled machine.  It is ranked high as one of the best races and I agree, it really is a great event and lots of fun. 
We spend two hours at the expo walking around collecting all the goodies and freebies, soaking in the experience. Still sleep deprived we elect to eat our only meal of the day at Jefferson Social on the way back to the hotel. It is on bar row just outside the baseball stadium and one of the closest places to our hotel.  A burger will have to fuel my run. We stagger back to the hotel and collapse.  All race preparations will take place in the morning. With the elevator in close proximity I fear a noisy sleepless night, but sleep wins out only the fireworks from the night baseball game wakes me momentarily.  Still recovering from the hellishly, hot downhill run last weekend...my body does not fight sleep, thankfully.  In fact, I am in no hurry to get up and get ready for the hellishly hilly "Flying Pig" marathon,
but we can't help but join in on the madness just outside our window. Runners scurrying to the start near the Bengal's football stadium. The only thing rolling through my mind is...will I be able to run and will I be able to finish under five hours? Most days I take my body for granted, but today it is letting me know it needs to be treated extra kindly. As we take our place in Corral C next to the 3:50 pacer we both laugh at my ambition. Eight months ago when I signed up that time was plausible, today it is only laughable especially as I gingerly step closer and closer to the start on unstable legs. With each step my legs warn me not to push too hard or they will be forced to respond accordingly with sharp seizing pain. My brain reminds me of the shrieking hamstring pain in 2015 at mile 21 of the Two Cities Marathon when I had to employ a funny skip style run to make it to the finish. Okay legs...it will be slow and steady...no funny stuff today! 
With a flash of warm fire shooting out of the start line banner we begin the long trek. Hopefully, I will see the finish line in less than five hours without too much...anguish! Within the first mile we leave Ohio and run over the bridge leading into Kentucky.
My pace is very conservative as both hamstrings are clenched in tight balls. I fight to find a comfortable speed to keep them happy. It is fun to be among excited runners ready to put their training to the test. There is a lot of electric excited energy~horses chomping at the bit raring to go~at the beginning of every marathon and today is no exception. Well except for a few old grey mares~like myself~who are ready to be back at the barn!
I try to soak up the enthusiasm to propel my banged up body through the miles. The field of runners is good sized and the volunteers are very supportive and positive. If ever I need a marathon with lots of cheering crowds it is now. People along the way want to help with offerings of cookies, bacon, licorice, ice pops, beer, pickles, mimosas, music, signs, Elvis, a juggler and constant encouragement.  Thanks guys for the...BEER!
I take the beer and the constant encouragement as my fuel. By mile five my hamstrings are warmed up and the fear of them seizing up subsides into a subdued soreness.  It is a nice compromise, a slow and steady pace in exchange for a more comfortable pain in
What my Internal Mental Battle looks like...
the back of my thighs. I will take it.  In the first few miles I fear the muscles will balk and force me to walk or even stop, but with a few miles under my belt I work to reach milestones: 6 miles, double digits, halfway, single digits, to the final countdown~the finish.  There are lots of distractions along the way, but unfortunately when the body is worn out and damaged from the start it's a long freaking way to run. I limp the six tenths back to the hotel yesterday and now I expect myself to run 26.2 miles. Sometimes, I question my thinking. It is a constant battle between common sense and insanity. However; when your own mother says, "You can't stop now you are too close you have to finish!" I keep going. The last five miles I force myself to keep running in order to get my time. My slow pace is hard to maintain, but I must keep the legs in run motion even though walking would probably be faster.  I only walk on the steepest of inclines. When a football is placed in my hands, I toss it over a fence attempting to make a basket. I fail miserably and exert too much energy as it sails over the fence. I forgo throwing a basketball at the next station saving what little energy is left! The people of Ohio are incredibly encouraging especially in the last miles. It's a fun and busy time with the Kentucky Derby, baseball games, a concert along with the shenanigans of the marathon events all taking place in the same weekend! Even the bartender at the restaurant is exhausted and ready to go home...

All the volunteers are called "grunts" and cheer every runner all the way to the finish. As downtown Cincinnati comes into view I can't wait to get to the finish line. There isn't any "get up and go" left in me, but the finish line announcer is loud and enthusiastically announces my name and city pulling me in as I complete the marathon. It takes a few minutes bent over to catch my breath before I can even think of moving on to collect my medal. They ask if I need assistant and I tell them I am good it is just my new "normal" when finishing lately.  As soon as I cross I am ready to drop and in need of time hunched over to recover! When I see other runners sitting on the tables, I do too! The thought of sitting on the curb is unappealing ~who will be there to pull me up, but the table as Goldilocks says..."is just right" to be able to stand again after a bit of rest.
I spot someone with pizza and immediately seek out a hot slice.  They actually cook it on the spot making it extra delicious. Just what I need~ don't worry my fat cells will make room. My husband crosses behind me and takes a seat on the table while I grab pizza for him too. The free beer is too far to walk to and we elect to go straight back to the hotel. A two pm checkout gives us plenty of time to shower and pack up.  The hotel graciously allows us to leave the car parked while we grab lunch before a fun baseball game between the Cincinnati Reds and my husband's team the San Francisco Giants.  The weather is great for relaxing all afternoon at the ball park.  I am not much of a baseball fan, but it is the best day to sit and recover in the warmth of the stadium...The Giants win 6-5 making it a perfect late afternoon activity. 
After the game we check into a hotel in Kentucky and crash the rest of the evening. Well, after we rush back over the bridge to the other hotel to retrieve a bag I left behind next to where the car was parked when I was searching for the misplaced pig medal. Luckily the valet asks, "Are you looking for a bag" and quickly ends my misery. The bag contained two new pairs of glasses. It is never a dull moment with me in toe. Now bring on the post marathon aches. The price for 26.2 miles of fun is pure pain. Shockingly, we both sleep until ten in the morning. It is so dark in the room, I think it is super early. The much needed rest prepares us for a day at the zoo. We hear it is one of the "best in the nation" but it seems like an average zoo to me. We sample the mini chili dogs with heaping grated cheese at "Skyline Chili dogs" before the zoo. A staple of Cincinnati, but I find them to be average as well.  It is fun to see Fiona and her mom. She is not little anymore either! After our little zoo excursion we hit the hot tub. It is just what my aching feet need. After one final night we sample Graters ice cream another staple of the area before our flight home. Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but we breezed out of the airport and sailed home in no time at all. Sorry I-5 and LAX, I don't miss you. The prospects of pulling it all together~recovering and properly preparing for our final trip and final state in four weeks is unlikely. I hope to spend my time eating healthy and healing my body, but somehow I have my doubts about that...
I have a lot in common with Fiona... the lazy lounger!
And her Mom (the hungry hippo)...always ready to eat!!


1 comment: