Thursday, September 5, 2019

Redo #State 23 Erwin, Tennessee

June 6th 2019

 Mockingbird Marathon

To be certified or not to be certified that is the question? Well of course we are going to be (officially certified) or certifiable as some may say. Yes, indeed we will not allow~a few tenths of a mile~to stop us from the goal. A misplaced marker at the Chattanooga Marathon in Tennessee will not be the reason the goal of running 26.2 miles in each state is classified as incomplete. Who wants to be considered an unofficial finisher. It just doesn't feel right! Thus it requires that we run another marathon in the state of Tennessee. A tireless search of various race calendars results in a potential double to redo Tennessee two days before our official 50th state in North Carolina. The race is a small one put on by a new race organization. We join the club and sign up for the race keeping our fingers crossed there will be enough participants to count as a certified marathon course. The worst case scenario, we try out a small multi-loop race with a few other enthusiastic racers and it doesn't count. Best case scenario, we try out a small multi-loop race with a few other enthusiastic racers and it counts.Twelve 2.2 mile loops on a scenic trail is where the battle to get certified takes place. A six a.m. start with an electronic wrist band to log in each hilly humid loop is the challenge for the day. The beginning of each new loop includes an incline and a tunnel just for fun.
 As the loops begin to add up, I become very familiar with every nuance of the course. The steep downward turn to the trail head on the outbound loop becomes a challenging climb and built-in walk break on the inbound loop. The moss covered bridge is a highlight as it symbolizes the nearness of the last quarter mile of another loop before reaching the park's parking lot. The location of the timer and the table where an array of snacks and beverages are placed ready to be consumed by any runner before beginning another out and back loop.
I must say loops are more enjoyable than envisioned. Seeing the same runners time after time struggling along with me is oddly reassuring and a source of strength as I witness others in the same struggle. My fellow runners are the only constant. We are the cheerleader and the rooting crowd of encouragement for one another. As the early starters finish, the trail becomes even more solitary allowing my inner thoughts to surface on the peaceful reflective path. A fellow lady runner keeps making strides to catch me in the last loop. I try to keep my pace as she gets closer and closer.  I desperately want to beat her, but she keeps getting stronger and stronger maintaining her pace as my pace drops.
 Not only am I racing her, but also the clock. My body has slowed considerably during the last few marathons and that sub five hour time is in jeopardy today if I don't hustle. I am too close to accomplishing the goal to give up now. My head goes down pushing myself to keep going, enjoying the assist from the downward gravitational pull from the slope through the tunnel one last time. I barely break the five hour mark, but it's a sweet finish knowing I pushed past my desire to slow down in order to accomplish a longtime goal.

The joy of completing a marathon never diminishes. I may be getting old, but crossing the finish line is exciting and exhilarating each and every time and that never gets old. Now, I can sit back relax in a lawn chair and enjoy everyone else's finish line feeling. My husband's finish is extra sweet too. He overcomes the heat and humidity to take second place. We sit awhile afterwards recovering with nothing but time on our hands sharing marathon stories with a fellow runner from Florida. Once a race is done there are no regrets, I am always happy to run the distance!
See that...CERTIFIED...not CERTIFIABLE 

No comments:

Post a Comment