Monday, December 7, 2015

State #21 Tulsa, Oklahoma

Route 66 Marathon

November 22, 2015

Well, I am back for blog #2. Looking back the frustration, in starting the blog, is only partially my ineptness the other part is an incompatible template and Chrome not wanting to cooperate with my muddling in an uncharted domain. Instead of beating my head over and over in response to why things will not work and stuffing my face with cupcakes, I begin with new vigor and a few more pounds to lug around. After trying a different blog site voila success. I did not let a challenge defeat me! I tend to be a procrastinator obviously as I am just now writing my first race recap. My brilliant idea is to get a jump start on my New Year's Resolution. Basically, losing weight never happens. At least it hasn't in the last forty years so losing weight will NOT be my resolution.

I don't use cuss words often, but must admit if I had to pick a favorite, it would definitely be Bullsh*t!  So, no Bullsh*t, my goal is to write a race report for the first 21 states completed and continue race recaps in a timely manner as they are completed. Here goes!

My husband and I are excited about our trip to Tulsa, our last marathon of the year. We usually drive three hours to the airport, but book a flight out of our local airport.  Now, I remember why we drive the three hours...to get to the destination much faster in the long run.  We wake up early to drop off our dog at my mom's~the best dog sitter ever~and grab a bite at Taco Bell. Yes, I know the reason we both still have belly rolls. Me being the tech savvy person that I am (NOT) I add some something or other to my phone to get updates from the airline. What a treat. It foreshadows the delays about to be bestowed upon our quick and easy trip.  First text 30...minute delay. If only it were 30 minutes, but long story short we do not arrive in Tulsa at 4:30 pm which gives us time to check in and walk over to the expo.... Instead, we arrive in Denver five minutes too late and miss the connection to Tulsa. The next flight is not until 8 pm. The weather clear as we are deposited into the terminal slowly changes hour by hour as we wait. The snow begins to fall prior to departure. The flight before us is all loaded and just sits there. I can't understand why it is taking so long to push back, but I soon find out. The plane must de-ice, and wait its turn in line for the process to be completed.  When it's our turn to board, we wait parked at the gate for two hours inside the plane before waiting our turn in line for ice removal which takes another hour.   
As a wimpy California girl who rarely encounters brutal weather, I have respect for the guys outside working to de-ice the plane ensuring our safety. The long delay finally ends with a 1 am hotel arrival.  Although disappointed, I have a greater appreciation for all workers that make travel possible from the pilots to the flight attendants and the gate agents who take unwarranted verbal beatings from disgruntled passengers. There is nothing better than an abundance of time at an airport to make a person reflect on how the wonderful workings of the world is when everyone does their part. Delays due to mechanical and weather issues garner two seven dollar lunch vouchers~Lucky us! The mini-microcosm of travel works darn well in overcoming obstacles with efficiency~maybe not as efficiently as desired by passengers~but with resiliency. Who hasn't experienced a long delay; in spite of it all, air transportation is still an amazing process. It is fascinating how people handle the adversities of their jobs in such a routine way. 
Before the really heavy snow!
Our entire Saturday is spent delayed in airports and on airplanes. The only good thing is the quick hotel shuttle pick up and the two free cans of coke at check in. Nothing like a can of fizz at 1:30 in the morning to unwind before bed. We wake up tired, but ready to trek over to the expo. A late checkout allows us to spend some time at the expo before lugging our suitcase to the next hotel closer to the start line.
The expo is not huge but it is bigger than many we have attended.  As we wait in one long line for all races, I can't help but give my two cents of unsolicited opinion to expedite the bib pick up process to my husband (separate lines for each type of race, maybe!) Rounding the corner in search of the 50 state wristband, that grants access to the Maniac Corner, I spot Bart Yasso. Everyone gets their picture with Bart right? I stalk him and hand my husband my phone, ready to pounce at my chance. The stars align and he happily poses for a picture with a fan girl even if it's not my best look. 
Bart is such a great run ambassador 

The city of Tulsa embraces the Route 66 Marathon. The volunteers are awesome and pleasant. They do a great job creating a party atmosphere especially for this year's 10th anniversary. It feels like a celebration with beer samples at the expo~nice way to kick off the weekend. It must be a money maker for the city too. What better way to bring people to the city...throw a big party and invite fifteen thousand people to run through it with locals cheering runners from start to finish! 

After the expo, we rush to check out and move to a hotel closer to the action as I start to feel the cold my kryptonite. Yes, an anomaly, heat does not bother me, but I can't tolerate cold. As we roll our bags through the gated street which will serve as the corrals in the morning, it gets colder and colder. Forget going back to the expo to listen to any speakers, walking in the cold makes that idea  unappealing. Lunch is the next task. My husband researched some restaurants ahead of time, but I suggest a southern food place that a fellow runner suggested~should listen to my husband more often! Oklahoma is not the south according to my husband, but the people have cute accents and that is southern enough for me! I make the mistake of taking the waiter's suggestion and order a turkey Cuban sandwich. Why didn't I go with fried chicken and mashed potatoes? The sandwich tastes to me like a spam sandwich with turkey flavoring. My husband likes what he orders, but he likes everything except for stuffing! (Burger bundles equate to childhood food trauma for him!) He eats almost anything~maybe not mince meat pie and mayonnaise!
On the walk to the restaurant we talk with a random runner from Georgia about the cold weather. When I blame California for my lack of cold tolerance, he tells us he lived in California for awhile and worked in a town thirty minutes from our hometown. The crazy connections to home never surprise me anymore on our marathon trips.
The Center of the Universe!  It echoes! It is Cold!
Back at the hotel we hang out in our room...it's just too cold  to go out even with a pizza place three blocks away. I tell my daughter I am not sure I can run in the morning because of the cold. Of course she never believes my proclamations!  
One gush of wind as the glass doors open ends our attempt to go to dinner, decision made....vending machine food it is. A Three Musketeer bar and a bag of pretzels is my marathon pre-load meal. What more do you need to run your best! Sadly, our fatigue from the night before and the cold limits our entertainment. Looking out at the corrals below and watching television...will have to suffice. 


Dinner of Champions!

Race morning finally arrives and it's nice to use the hotel bathroom before the short walk to corral A. Generally, I try to run under four hours, but that's not happening today! Still, it's nice to be in the first corral right next to Maniac Corner with a private drop bag location. Overdressed in layers, garage bags and my husband's arm sleeves from the Modesto Marathon on my calves, I am ready.  
Such a glamorous shot!

People are drinking already as an enthusiastic sea of Maniacs and 50 Staters are everywhere. Once the National Anthem concludes a bang of confetti signals the start of the race...nice touch!

As soon as I start running I regret the extra jacket and off goes the garage bag! There are a ton of runners, but I take the race nice and easy no need to dodge and weave in my current status. My BQ attempt ended with a hamstring flair up at the last marathon...today will be easy running. Gentle running is all my back right leg allows and my left ankle concurs. The jacket with tight cuffs is a pain to remove, but three miles into the race I settle into a comfortable rhythm. My husband, with no injuries, is off and running. I elect not to wear headphones with so many Maniacs and 50 Staters on the course, but it ends up being a conversation less race. Each race experience is unique and I am happy to run along silently or engage in run chatter. Today, I am happy to be among other runners, take in the sights, and enjoy the spirit of the spectators. I paced most of my marathons this year so Tulsa is just for me. I have my first beer~nice little boost~at mile seven and I like it!! I witness runners downing fireball shots provided by homeowners. The residents of Tulsa are awesome, happily disbursing alcohol to whomever  is willing to drink it during a crazy 26.2 mile party!!
I enjoy running through cities I will probably never visit again. The race has enjoyable and interesting twists and turns showcasing various parts of the city. The hills are not quite as fun with climb after climb revealing how out of shape I truly am. The race highlight includes a run through Tulsa University.  

After running through the college fatigue sets in but not to despair mimosas, beer and pickles...come to my rescue as I indulge in yet another tasty beer and a pickle. In the home stretch the route becomes more industrial, the toughest miles to gut out. Reaching the "Center of the Universe Detour" takes forever!

Finally, decision time, detour...or not to detour. Heck yes...run the extra .3 and get the extra coin. Even though it is a climb, there is more beer at the turn around with a choice...half cup or a full cup of beer? I go for the full gusto and run the last half mile with a slight buzz increasing the challenge! The fuzzy finish line comes into sight with Bart welcoming runners back with high-fives. Two young bucks decide to pass me on each side preventing my celebratory high-five with Bart. Nonetheless, I am happy to be done. The only thing left to do is get warm and consume endless amounts of beer in Maniac Corner.

    


Definitely happy for the many layers in my drop bag and thrilled to meet a fellow Maniac who also hates the cold...There really are other people with cold intolerance who prefer warm running! I blame a bad thyroid for my severe cold sensitivity and marvel at those that can run in a T-shirt and shorts. Our celebration ends too soon as we hurry back to shower before catching the shuttle to the airport.  A slight scare at the airport occurs when the plane is delayed. With a possibility of missing our connection they book us on a morning flight just in case.  The flight fairies are on our side; however, when the connecting plane is also late!  Thankfully, we make it home Sunday night and are grateful for the short drive home. My awesome dog sitter, delivers our dog and feeds our cat. State twenty-one is in books and so is my first race blog...



No comments:

Post a Comment