Monday, October 24, 2016

State #29 Kansas City, Missouri

Another Double Marathon Weekend

October 15, 2016

One double marathon weekend in October must not be enough punishment.  Here we go again.  I actually signed up for Kansas City and Des Moines before I added Maine and New Hampshire, but now we are running another double in a two week period.  At least this one is only in the Midwest rather than the East Coast. However, the travel times are not the best for the trip. The flight leaves at 6:15am which means we need to be at the gate by 5:45am.  We leave the house at 11pm in order to get to the parking lot before the really bad~I feel sleepy, I can't drive anymore hits!  On the plus side it makes for super easy travel with minimal to no traffic and a record time getting to the airport. It leaves time for a nap in the car before catching the shuttle to the airport. Also super easy and quick. Once we board the plane, it is smooth sailing and we are in Kansas City before noon with no line for the cheapest rental car ever~can't beat 37 bucks for three days! We are eating lunch at the Pizza Ranch buffet shortly after landing. Lunch sustains us for the day leaving plenty of time to visit the Truman Library.

The fatigue is starting to hit me!
After an informative historical tour of the museum, we drive to the Chiefs stadium for a little look. Definitely something that interests my husband way more than me.

Things are always great until they are not!  Fatigue hits hard and the brain slows, my patience wanes especially when we are ready to get to the final destination now!  But first, we drive around in circles to find parking at the wrong hotel.  After trekking into the wrong Crowne Hotel with luggage in tow, it's back to the car for more traffic battles and confusion before finally finding the correct hotel. I must say; even though, it is pricey, we stay at the host hotel which is very comfortable and convenient~at least once we finally find it. 
After leaving our stuff in the room, we go to the expo located in the hotel. Love the convenience after our trouble in finding the hotel. The last thing I want to do is get back in the car. The expo is rather small and easy to navigate quickly.  We pick up the I-35 challenge backpack.  I suggest they stick with the shirt from the year before. Upon registering we thought we were getting a shirt, but they changed it to a backpack~disappointing many of the Challenge participants. That is my only suggestion for improving for next year. We decide take a short walk to check out the start and finish area.


After orienting ourselves for the morning, it is back to the room...Let's just say it is so nice to sprawl out on the huge king size bed~oh so comfy~and the good pillows! Sleep deprivation does not always leave one at their running best, but I plan to enjoy every last second laying in the bed. I bring along Reese's pumpkins for a sweet treat. (It is October after all.  The obsession used to only be Reese's Easter eggs in March or April, but somehow it now includes October pumpkins.)  It has been scientifically proven that the holiday Reese's candy is better tasting and more addicting than the regular kind!
View of city from room
When the alarm goes off...I have no desire to get up! Usually on race morning, I spring out of bed in anticipation~not today~I just want to sleep and stay in bed forever. I seriously think about not getting up. I wait until the last possible moment to throw myself together. We leave ten minutes before start time and are quite surprised when the elevator door opens and it is full of runners. I guess they did not want to get up either. As we step out of the hotel the temperature is quite warm with lots of moisture in the air. I think it is the humidity, but I am quickly informed by another runner it is the dew point. After making our way through the corral, we are as ready as we are going to be.

It is still dark as the race begins. My sunglasses sit on my hat the entire run.  The sun is not a factor, but it is definitely a warm run. The course takes runners on a nice little tour of the city. We run the downtown streets that showcase the big buildings, along waterways and through nice neighborhoods. The course also showcases every possible incline. Someone said,"It is a fast course, easier than Boston." I have to disagree. I am worn down from lots of marathons and my fitness is not where I would like, but it is a more challenging course than Boston. On the other hand, if properly trained, it is a good marathon to race. The volunteers are great handing out plenty of water, Gatorade and nourishment. The course elevation is constantly changing with lots to see. The entertainment on the course is abundant and greatly appreciated.
The marathon uses a ton of pacers.  I run with one of the half pacers until they turn and I run with the 4:20 pacer near the halfway point before I start to feel better and push ahead.  Running in the group helps me get over the hump.  I talk with a Maniac from Los Angeles. It is interesting to share marathon stories and the miles pass quickly while immersed in conversation. Many Maniacs and 50 Staters are doing the double increasing the camaraderie on the course.
Another plus for the Kansas City Marathon is free pictures. It is a challenge to search through the thirty thousand photos, but nice to find a photo that captures the moment. After the halfway point I begin my mile countdown. Nothing is more exciting than seeing the mile 25 sign other than seeing the mile 26 sign. The zinger for the course is the climb up for the last .2 to the finish line. There is just nothing left in my legs to push and I slog through finishing in 4:19:29 just in front of the 4:20 pacers.
That's gun time!
I give the marathon two thumbs up. A good course with plenty of aid, entertainment, hills, volunteers and a nice after-party atmosphere with beer and burgers for all participants. I sit on the Washington statue ledge to eat and drink and it turns into the pacer hangout. I listen to their chatter and am glad to run my own race today. It is nice not to constantly look at my watch and make adjustments which is required while pacing. The pace band I picked up at the expo was the 4:20 and I finished thirty-one seconds under right on the money. I don't even do that well when I am pacing! I guess the secret is not to stress so much about the watch and mile markers.
After refueling I walk back to the hotel to shower and get ready to leave for Iowa. The hotel gave everyone a letter at check-in that we need to be out by 12 pm. I requested a 2 pm check-out when I booked, but at check in they can't promise anything. I will fight that battle if need be, but there are no issues. My husband finishes and is back in the room by the time I get out of the shower. All is good as we leave the hotel by one. A one o'clock check out seems fair considering the money marathons bring to a city. Now it is off to Des Moines for day two!


No comments:

Post a Comment