Monday, October 24, 2016

State #30 Des Moines, Iowa


Double Marathon Day 2

October 16, 2016

"Glad to hear you enjoyed your king size bed meanwhile, I am at home sleeping in the dirt. Hope that makes you happy!"  This is what my cat's thought bubble would be. At least she is getting her winter coat and it is still warm at home. We have a goal to accomplish and hitting the 30 state mark somehow feels as if we have jumped over a psychological hurdle and the goal is within reach. While many runners complete 50 states before reaching age fifty, I will have to settle for 30 states by fifty.  It just means the fun continues. At least that is what I tell my big toe as it is about to shed its nail.  While I should be out running today, I am writing a blog instead of figuring out a way to fit my foot into my running shoes without further aggravating Mr. dangling toenail. It is funny when the pacer in Kansas City was telling the runners about the time he lost his big toenail and I scoffed thinking I have some pretty messed up toenails, but I have never lost my big toenail. Karma or a lesson in not being judgmental!

Back to the blog, and back to riding in the car for the three hour drive to Des Moines. I'll drive even though, I drove to the airport and all day yesterday. It is my punishment for forgetting the pain relievers and my husband is hurting. He actually had some with him but when he got them out they flew on the ground. I will do the driving until we can stop and get some food and gas which ends up being almost two hours. Turns out there are not a lot of places to stop between Missouri and Iowa. Choices being limited we stop at the old stand by, Taco Bell and thankfully the gas station has Advil. I get to take a driving break and bust out the remaining two Reese's pumpkins for some extra fuel. I share with hubby as he is hooked on the delicious pumpkins too. It leaves me wondering if there is rehab for Reese's holiday candy. Once we make it to Des Moines we go straight to the expo for packet pick-up. After hunting down the Maniacs to get our sticker for the extra medal it is hotel time. We luck out and get a parking spot right in front of the hotel saving 24 dollars on valet parking.  

It is another nice hotel with a comfy bed with a very short walk to the start and finish line. We elect to keep our great parking spot and find a restaurant within walking distance and discover an Italian place a few blocks away. They have a waiting list but we elect to sit at the bar.  Shockingly, I order pizza~surprise~and my husband has a burger.
It's not the best pizza. The sauce needs to go under the cheese please. I take it back to the hotel refrigerator thinking we might eat it after the marathon, but I think I am over pizza~Not really, they have hot slices at the finish line~and I manage to get my pizza fix. 

Once we are back in the room, we prepare for the morning and crawl into another comfy bed. We need to check in for the airline at 7:45 a.m. with the race starting at 8 a.m. it is perfect timing. Except we both totally forget to do it. It doesn't even cross my mind until my husband asks me if I checked in as he comes across the finish line. Oops...well what is the worst that can happen! Apparently nothing as we get home with all the luggage and sat in the front of the plane even though we were the last to board. Thanks Southwest. Plus we had the nicest flight attendant!
Did you check in... hmmm clueless  No!
Back to marathon morning. It is a warm muggy day. Miserable is the word that comes to mind. I have never seen so many runners soaking wet within the first few miles and it is not raining. It is the dew point! I am struggling within the first few steps. I know it's part of the warm up, but it plain and simple hurts. The marathon rewards us with hills in the first three miles. My husband is running with me and I tell him to go ahead, but he sticks with me as pacer after pacer run by. I insist he go, but he doesn't listen. I need to walk and work into the run, but once my legs are numb I am able to power through.  

Finally the hills relent and I am able to get into a nice groove with my husband. We enjoy the course and the people with many out and back sections, there are Maniacs and 50 Staters everywhere. It is nice to see everyone, for the most part, be positive and encouraging towards one another.  I really enjoy the lap around the Drake University track!



It is still early enough to be a fun little thrill at mile 8. Immediately upon leaving the track area we are hit with another climb and I resort to walking once again. My husband is up ahead and he keeps climbing. The thing about uphills is they are generally followed by downhills and I love to take advantage of gravity. Around mile 11 my husband starts having groin issues. He decides to take it easy and tells me to go ahead. Now that I am warmed up I decide to fly down the hills. The course is good with a variety of terrain from the big city start to nice homes to trail sections. Around mile 14 I slow down considerably. There is a long way to go and I want to be done. Music is playing in the isolated lonely section and I desperately need a GU but there aren't any. I grab a piece of banana and it doesn't make a dent in ending my misery. I  take a potty break hoping it will make the miles easier. No, nothing is going to make it an easy run. A sign at mile 17 says bacon in 3 miles. The bacon countdown sign becomes my inspiration and mantra . "Let's just get to the bacon!"  When I approach mile 20 I see Steven Yee, Maniac #1, one of the three founders of the club. I grab the bacon my motivation for the last 3 miles but immediately spit it out, it's way too chewing to eat. At least I get a photo with the Main Maniac.
After the little respite, it is time to keep shuffling along and dreading the major climb to the capitol, but first there is another out and back section and some GU. I think about skipping it then realize I will need the energy to make it up to the capitol. 
All these out and backs have good and bad points. It is demoralizing when you see the runners coming back and you still have to go where they have been. Once I get to the inevitable hill I walk it. I know the few people who are running up will be so exhausted, I will pass them on the downhill side.
Once at the hill's crest, I snap a photo before conquering the loop around and before the final downhill. I can't wait to be done. Now on the downhill side of things I see all the runners beginning the climb and feel their pain. I see Sharon, a super nice lady we met at the start line. She waves and smiles with positive energy. She looks ready to take on the hill! It is one step at a time until the mind takes you to another place~at long last~the finish is in sight. With three tenths to go a man who is encouraging runners along the course tells me I can pass at least three people. I love his challenge and push as fast as my chubby little legs can go passing about fifteen people. Never mind that many of the ladies in blue are half marathon walkers, passing the dude in black leaves me feeling giddy once I catch my breath.
I bend over to recover for a few seconds before collecting the~I-35 Challenge Medal, Des Moines Medal and the Maniac Medal along with yesterday's Kansas Medal, it is a good hardware day!
My husband finishes...not far behind and we do the marathon shuffle all the way back to the hotel. There is no hurry to get back to Missouri since our flight is the next morning. We have time for a few detours. What is there to do in Iowa?  Well, according to my husband there is a John Wayne Museum and his childhood home.

My grandmother loves John Wayne. She watches his movies over and over again. I get some postcards with his mug shot on them in the gift shop for her. We walk all the way around the block to see the house limping as we go. We are not smart enough to take the shortest route. Next my husband informs me the Bridges of Madison County are in the area as well. Goody but can we eat first. We try a BBQ place across from the museum. It isn't so great but we definitely need some protein after 52.4 miles of running. The covered bridges are everywhere and after the second one I have had enough. If you have seen one covered bridge you have seen them all Right?




Well, that wraps up thirty states. I will spare the details about the airport motel with the blaring television until after 2 a.m. and the slamming doors. I think I'd prefer a night flight home~but missing out on all the noise and sleeplessness for the drive home is so worth it or is it! 
We again luck out with the fastest shuttle back to the parking lot with a bus present as we exit the airport. The bus driver only stops for one other passenger and wow did she drive that bus fast. We are back at our car in record time. A stop in Santa Clarita for In & Out completes our marathon trips for 2016. I finish the year out by pacing the Fresno and Bakersfield marathon. Looking forward to some down time and some legitimate training build up...in preparation for Rhode Island and Boston in April 2017.















No comments:

Post a Comment