Thursday, August 17, 2017

Marathon State #6 Logan, Utah

Top of Utah Marathon

Steptember 15, 2012
t
Preview of the tents the night before
"Top of Utah Marathon" is tops in my book! It is definitely cold on marathon morning as we depart the warm bus after the long 26.2 mile trip to the top of the hill. After a quick bathroom visit we make a beeline to the huge white tent and seek refuge. Amazing warmth embrace us as we cross the threshold.  A heated tent? Are you kidding me! I spend my remaining time watching runner after runner delight in the warmth as they enter the tent to a blast of heat! The various reactions and comments about the "heavenly heat" is pure entertainment and brings me such joy. But it is time to run and leave the warmth behind.  After a quick group photo at the start line with the "Maniacs" the race begins!
Utah Maniac Teota
The first  scenic and picturesque half is all downhill.  After a quick chat with a fellow "maniac" from the Utah area,  it is mainly a solo journey until a young women strikes up a conversation.  She is struggling a bit with her first marathon! She used running as a stress reliever while finishing up graduate school. We talk about running and I do my best to encourage her to keep fighting on, but the first one is always relentlessly difficult. There is not much advice to give other than to persevere. Talking is a bonus, it helps to pass the time and to forget about the momentary anguish we are each feeling. We carry on a life conversation for many miles before parting ways. For me...I can't wait for the twelve marathons of 2012 to be over, but my momentary fellow sojourner will soon be relishing her first marathon finish. It seems not so long ago that I finished my first marathon with my husband~a non-runner at the time~and my adorable seven year old cheering me on from the sidelines. How can it be...so long ago, but back to reality and  I am struggling. My fitness is at an all time low and I am in need of some soul searching to figure out my strategy to maneuver out of  an unhappy period in my life. Running is definitely an escape, but stuffing my emotions with food is not working out so well. "You can't outrun a bad diet and you can't eat your feelings." ~Well, you can...but you just end up fat and unhappy!  Who really wants to do that...there has to be a better way, but figuring it out may take some effort.
Once we are out of the mountains, the course becomes more spectator friendly. As we run back to town there are more people to cheer us on. "Logan" is a happy place with people honking and cheering from their cars. My husband is way ahead of me and he finishes with his own personal cheering section, his uncle, aunt and a cousin along with her children are there to root us on.  It is fun to have family at the finish area. They   
graciously come out to support us and host us at their home. I just wish I wasn't so slow forcing them to wait for me to finally cross the finish line! They are  positive and enthusiastic and we are lucky to have such kind and caring people in our lives. It is a nice finish in the park with ice cream treats for all runners. We give The ice cream to the girls. I forget how messy it can be with little ones!... Sorry about that!

After the run, we are unable to move. My husband's uncles place is peaceful with a calming river in the backyard. It is the perfect place to begin the recovery process. We relax the rest of the day and enjoy hanging out with the kids. The next day we visit with another one of my husband's cousins before flying home.  We are treated to a fun time at the Olympic Park one of the venues from the 2008 winter games. Always such a fun family to visit. We pack in as much fun as humanly possible for one afternoon thanks to cousin Shelly the fabulous tour guide. We see the sights of Park City Utah...and the surrounding area.

No comments:

Post a Comment