Monday, October 9, 2017

Marathon State #10 Jackson, Mississippi

Mississippi Blues Marathon

January 11, 2014


Well, the time has come...we are officially going to be called "Fifty-Staters" after we complete the double marathon weekend. Not only are we trying to do a marathon on Saturday and Sunday in the same weekend, we are also attempting to do it in two different states. The first State will be Mississippi.  The marathon has really good race reviews and it is only about three and a half hours from Alabama.   
We stop on our way to the airport to visit our daughter and my phone quits working. I usually keep a cellphone for as long as possible, often taking my daughter's discards, but I can't fathom traveling without a phone so down to the Verizon store we go to get a new phone. I guess it is time to join the modern world, an iPhone it is. I had no idea what I was missing.  Now I can't image not having all the nifty cool features of a powerful little computer in my hands. You really do not know what you are missing until you experience what you have been missing out on...
 After flying into New Orleans on a Thursday, we spend some time walking around Bourbon Street, listening to the music emanating from all the bars. Lots of crazy things to see. It is January after all, but I can just image the madness of the city during Mardi Gras. My husband samples Cajun alligator and I try  Jambalaya. On the way back to our hotel we stop at Chili's for a burger since I am still hungry and the soup didn't fill me up. I wish we  skipped the extra stop, the burger with bleu cheese is yucky tasting. Sorry to all the bleu cheese lovers out there. Even my husband, who can eat almost anything, can't eat it. Friday morning, we drive around the Garden District of New Orleans to see some of the mansions before making the long three hour drive to Jackson, Mississippi. After checking in we drive to the expo. It's too cold to walk for a California girl.

The expo is quite extensive with blues music as the focal point of the "Mississippi Blues Marathon." All participants get a harmonica and a blues Cd along with a zip up fleece pull-over. We fill the afternoon touring the city and visiting the old state house before my favorite part of every trip...the meal. What to eat...is the million dollar question.

Always hope to find something tasty, but it usually doesn't happen. We decide on the Pizza Shack and it is nothing special. On the way back to the motel, we pick up some snacks and water. Time to relax and focus on the running part as we lay out our clothes and get organized for the morning. 

Luckily, it is a short walk to the start of the marathon at the Convention Center Thankfully, it is not as cold as yesterday. There are a few other Maniacs doing the double and we talk to other "crazy" runners. Since it is my first double, I am not sure how to approach it. Do I run conservatively today or do I run hard and see what happens tomorrow! 


I go out strong and feel good most of the  way. I slow up some in the last few miles and finish in 4:10. It is a nice run in spite of the  rough roads. There are LOTS OF POTHOLES and more hills than anticipated, but the people are super nice. We definitely feel the southern hospitality. There is plenty of food, beer and music at the finish to refuel and rest before the long drive to Mobile, Alabama. 
The late checkout gives us time to shower before we hurry to get to packet pick-up and the pasta dinner. I somehow forget to pack my husband another pair of running socks and we pick up a pair at the expo.... Unfortunately, we make it in time for the free pasta dinner which ENDS up being a complete and utter determinate to the next days run. The night after a marathon is usually accompanied by some joint pain and other aches and pains but not food poisoning. We are up and down all night with terrible stomach cramps and frequent bathroom trips.We find out after the race and through social media that many other runners were affected by the spoiled meat sauce as well. Needless to say, The Mobile Marathon is my toughest race ever! (Read State #11 for the gritty details.)





No comments:

Post a Comment