Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Marathon State #11 Mobile, Alabama

First Light Marathon

January 12, 2014
We feel a warm welcome from the south for sure...and it starts with a 6 am call a few days before we leave California, "We are looking forward to your visit and just calling to confirm your stay with us!" I can't be mad at the sweetest southern drawl ever even if the phone call wakes me from a sound sleep.  I think that six o'clock call foreshadows my first and hopefully last six hour finish time...

We initially think our 2nd marathon in two days will be our toughest challenge of the day especially since it's our first attempt at back to back marathons, but it ends up being the easier part of the challenge.  After a sleepless night interrupted by frequent bathroom trips, running is the last thing we want to do. The pasta dinner is giving us a mad case of Montezuma's Revenge. The idea of not running is seriously considered, but we flew all this way and used vacation time from work, we must complete what we set out to do. Mustering up the last little bit of fortitude, we make our way to the start line.  The dread is oozing from my pores as other things ooze too...can I do this.  Do I even want to? In the elevator we speak to another lady who has the same stomach trouble. In fact, her husband is so sick he elects to sacrifice his run and stays in the room...
Okay...at least we are not the only ones suffering.  Misery loves company and we find lots of other miserable marathoners who share our same struggle throughout the 26.2 miles.  It turns into a search and a run to the next porta-potty.  Instead of looking for mile markers we are looking for bathroom opportunities.  The first stop is a Starbucks. We stand in line behind other desperate runners trying not to have an accident.  The day continues in the same fashion mile after mile. "Oh there is a fast food place let's cross the street and go over there.  I see a gas stations, lets go there."  A fellow runner names us the "GI trackers" as we catch  up to him after each of our stops. A more accurate title is GI crappers. The course for the most part is a blur.  My priority is keeping my stomach in check. By mile 17 we sort of figure out that every time we take water we have an attack.  We stop drinking entirely.  Mile 17 is my lowest point. I really do not know if I can finish the race. I have to sit down on a curb to try to settle my stomach until we are able to get to the next potty. Once I begin again...I feel better. The good part is being among the"back of the packers" and the great kinship with our fellow runners. We get the chance to talk and share stories with several other couples who run together. It's a highlight of the run. In the latter portions of the race we try to take in the experience of the hilly course with amazing traffic control and super friendly people. I do my best to enjoy the section through the college campus with encouraging and spirited college students. In the final miles my stomach is finally better. I tell my husband lets go!

It is actually more painful for me to walk than run. He tries to stay with me, but needs more walk breaks. No longer in need of potties, we just need to be DONE! He tells me to go and I run the final two miles on my own down main street. People are cheering while drinking and eating at the  establishments and I just want to be sit down. My finish time is 6:09! The finish line is extra special. The marathon is a 
a fundraiser for the 'L'Arche de Mobile.  An excellent organization that benefits individuals with developmental
disabilities. The medals are handmade
by members and they proudly put the personally made medals around each runner's neck.  It is  super cool and worth every step of misery. Runners doing both marathons also get a handmade plaque.  The marathon finishes in a downtown park with pork and chicken sandwiches awaiting hungry runners. I am so depleted with nothing in my system.  Do I dare eat something well... course I do! I gobble down the sandwich in no time.  My husband finishes ten minutes behind and also gobbles down a sandwich.  After a shower and a long rest, we venture out in the evening for some dinner.  The proximity of the hotel to the start and finish in the downtown center makes it a super convenient. We find a lively place and enjoy a yummy burger along with an ice cold beer.  All is good again in the marathon world.  When is my next double...



No comments:

Post a Comment