Saturday, August 31, 2024

Humboldt Bay Marathon
Eureka, CA
August 11, 2024
Let the Fun Begin
This can't be how my story ends. After four and a half years, the stagnation rut and the absence of growth tug from within. Life is precious and meant to be lived why am I wasting time! Is a return to the road out of the realm of possibility. The craziness of our world causes profound turmoil and we each handle it in different ways. Isolation and disbelief is how life played out for a few years along with too many bad eating habits. 
First Marathon Start Line in 4 1/2 years

As another birthday passes and a new year begins, the idea of reclaiming life and fitness is the prevalent nagging theme continuously running through my mind. While the goal of walking twenty miles per week is accomplished in 2023, my overall healthy lifestyle is still lacking.  Too many unnecessary pounds crept their way onto my body.  A negative mindset generates a who cares attitude and nothing good comes from that...

Race begins and ends by the bay
To jump start the new year, an impulse registration in January for an early March half marathon seems like a good way to bounce back into a better fitness regime. Transitioning from walking to running isn't quite as easy as anticipated, however. The body needs more time to adjust to running after years with less activity and carrying extra weight makes it even more challenging. Little injuries and strains hamper the lead up to race day. The plan is to run-walk the half marathon, but as the miles pass, my old runner mentality emerges, and I start pushing the pace until pain radiates from my hamstring down into my calf. Immediately, I am forced to walk. The remaining miles are an extremely tough painful slog to the finish line. 

The Boardwalk section

That's not how anyone wants to begin a new fitness journey.  After resting and healing the remaining weeks of March a new idea swirls. It is going to take something different to get myself back on track this time around. The concept of 75 Hard seems too hard. After a discussion with my husband we decide to challenge ourselves to our own version of 30 Day Hard. It includes two workouts per day one outside, lot of water, no eating out, a strict diet and daily reading. If you mess up, the 30 days starts over.

30 Days isn't so Hard

Thankfully, we are successful and complete the challenge on our first attempt. Once we are done, there is a "Now What" feeling! As my recently retired husband sits on the porch on a random Tuesday, I approach him with "An idea!" It doesn't take long to convince him to come out of marathon retirement. With plenty of time on our hands why not go big.  The plan is to follow an actual 20 week marathon plan with a full scheduled for November 2024. The goal is to earn the "I qualified for Boston" shirt at Two Cities Marathon...
Sometimes you Go Big or Go Home

It is a rather lofty goal, but worth a shot. After two months of solid running we schedule a mid training tune-up run in Eureka. It is one of the coolest places to run in the summer with very mild temperatures. I sign up for the full and my husband signs up for the half. It is the best way to get in a forced long run with aid stations and other runners for motivation. The run goes fairly well. I run the first half with runner #2 and the 4:05 pacer. It is a double loop with two out and back sections in each half. It allows me to know exactly what comes next.  The second out and back section makes up approximately the last 8 miles of the first half. I don't want to run it alone and tuck in behind #2.

I attempt to pass a few times, but the guy in the lead counters every attempt with an increase in his pace. Upon our return back to the start line, he lets me pass just as the second loop begins. The 4:05 pacer is on my heels until we reach mile 22. After a short stop for water and Gu the pacer leaves me in the dust. The plan to stay with him for the remaining miles, evaporates as I watch him disappear along with my enthusiasm.  Waning energy and pace force me to finish the run alone. The last three miles are tough as my pace drastically dropping on the last mile. I finish is 4:06 while the 4:05 pacer finishes in 3:59. If only he had maintained the 9 to 9:20 pace he held for the first 22 miles I may have been able to stay with him. Overall, the run is a success. After briefly feeling some hamstring pain in the early miles, some gait adjustments allow for a successful training run. 

We visit with my husband's parents and aunt while we are in town before spending a few days in Oregon. A ride in a jet boat down the Rogue River is our reward for reaching the halfway point of our goal. 

After our vacation fun, it is time to buckle down for ten more weeks of running in preparation for Two Cities Marathon. Other than babysitting my grand kitties, I will be out pounding the pavement.

Double Trouble
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment